Strategies to Maximize the Effectiveness of Learning Targets in Your Class
- Unpack the vocabulary of the targets at the beginning of the class. Watch the video to see an example.
- Have students identify the targets at the beginning of the period. Have them do a closure activity tied to the target at the end of the class.
- Return to the whiteboard throughout the lesson, “checking off” parts of the learning target as you teach and assess them.
- Require students to keep a “target tracker” in their notebook, citing evidence of individual mastery.
- Use a technology tool like Plickers, Kahoot, or Padlet to check for learning.
- Use quick-writes, journal entries, and exit slips to assess learning in writing.
- Have students find evidence to show mastery of the targets as a unit review.